Sunday, April 30, 2023

Impossible is Not an Option: How We Prayed Our Way into Marriage

 

This next step goes more or less hand in hand with the previous steps I've discussed regarding living the God-life. You must take up prayer and, where and when necessary, fasting and waiting on God along with it. Now, this must not be in the least taken for granted.

I remember when I first approached my wife.

Then when we got talking every time we met, we came to realise that we are of like minds, especially in spiritual matters. One major point of similarity was when I told her there would be no sex during the period of courtship, because I really wanted to do it right this time; and she told me that was exactly what she had told God when she had asked Him to send her husband to her. Thus the relationship started.

We then were faced with challenges from family members and so-called friends who did not believe it was going to work. For one, I wasn’t working when we started seeing each other. For another, I was living with and eating from my elder sister. And when I finally landed something to be doing, it was a teaching job where I earned a meagre salary, considering the yawning future ahead.

People mocked and sneered whenever they saw us going on for marriage counselling. But we were unruffled, because we were praying. We actually set out seventy straight days of fasting and praying before the Lord. And in the midst of these seventy days, we faced more challenges, and further saw the need to not relent, but press right on, going completely without food and water for three days. This happened twice before the seventy days were over.

People began to take us seriously, and our family members began to show their support. Then, when we had three more days left of the seventy, I decided I was going to go on for another thirty days after the seventy days were over; while Dazzle, as I call my wife, Victoria, decided to go without food and water for those three days.

All the while, we prayed and prayed and prayed. As we prayed, every mountain became a molehill, and every molehill of them soon became a speck of dust vanishing away with our yesterdays.

Make your life a prayer (1st Thessalonians 5:17, The Passion Translation).

 

Pray passionately in the Spirit, as you constantly intercede with every form of prayer at all times... (Ephesians 6:18, The Passion Translation).

 

But this kind of demon is cast out only through prayer and fasting. (Matthew 17:21, The Passion Translation)

As we kept praying and fasting relentlessly, the Lord continued to speak to us through it all. Indeed, He gave me a Scripture concerning the wedding, which eased my mind completely:

The kingdom of heaven is like unto a certain king, which made a marriage for his son (Matthew 22:2, King James Version). 

This was exactly what God did. I soon got two other jobs I was doing at the side and, before long, was able to pay for my own apartment and, just before the wedding, moved into another (better) apartment. Then He raised men to supply just about everything we would need, and gave us a societal wedding which brought men and women from all walks of life. The feast at the reception is something no one who was present would forget in a hurry.

God is indeed faithful. Today, I can confidently tell you that Genesis Chapter Two, as far as my marriage is concerned, is not only a reality, but a complete walkover, to the glory of God Almighty!

Now, if you missed my previous posts on how to pursue the God-life, you may want to look at them one after the other. I assure you, all of these would definitely, steadily, help you build up an intimacy with the Spirit. More to come in my next post. God bless you!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Which is Your Truth?

https://www.facebook.com/share/r/mRaNeSLx66RLrqYA/?mibextid=D5vuiz I saw the above on Facebook and decided to share it with you today. Peopl...